Friends of Sai Kung
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Friends of Sai Kung

Community website for Friends of Sai Kung

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Landfill extension proposed

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Landfill extension proposed Empty
PostSubject: Landfill extension proposed   Landfill extension proposed EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 10:54 am

Five hectares of land in Clear Water Bay Country Park will be excised from

the existing park area for the South East New Territories Landfill

extension.

The Agriculture, Fisheries & Conservation Department said it is a piece of

scrubland and grassland. No recreation facilities are located within it and

the roads within the country park will not be affected.
Back to top Go down
https://friendsofsaikung.board-directory.net
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landfill extension proposed   Landfill extension proposed EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 am

Perhaps FSK should push for a replacement park in the area East of Hiram's

Highway between Ho Chung and the University?

(FSK member - this posting has been moved from the FSK g-Forum)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landfill extension proposed   Landfill extension proposed EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 10:56 am

Hello everyone,

Good suggestion, but still make as much objection noise as possible.

Landfill space is a problem for virtually every major city in the world.

Most cities have implemented waste minimisation schemes that I haven't even heard of in HK. We only recycle 30% of garbage. That's pathetic by world

standards.

Perhaps FSK could push for better waste minimisation in Sai Kung District where it appears to be even worse than many other parts of Hong Kong.

FSK member (this posting has been moved from the FSK g-forum)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landfill extension proposed   Landfill extension proposed EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 10:57 am

I would prefer FSK to be seen as a positive influence rather than an "Objectors Organisation", which it seems to be becoming.

Although we can make a fuss and noise about Landfill Extension area at CWB Country Park, we should realise that the present waste management system needs the space; and if it is not to be there, then it will be somewhere else. Do the voices on this channel object in priciple to the use of landfill, or just at this location - the NIMBY problem.

The land being taken is not much used by the public, and if was normal "Government Land" think there would be less objection.

FSK member (taken from the FSK g-forum)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Landfill extension proposed   Landfill extension proposed EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 1:19 pm

Greetings, I think a very good point was made above about which issues FSK should be putting their weight behind. I agree with his obervations. This landfill issue was really bourght to our attention 18 months ago by AFCD -- who were very reluctant to give up protected country park land for any reason.
I believe the right was granted - on a semi-perment basis, but clearly Hong Kong has a serious landfill problem. it's frankly cheaper and more practical to take up the country park brush-land than for tax payers to cart our own rubbish up to china's dumps. From what i remember from the AFCD officers, they were backed right up into a corner by gov big wigs.
We can discuss our further action at the AGM (Monday, 24th!) - but I think for now, let's see what AFCD has to say for themselves (unofficially through our contacts and friends) - and see how FSK can position ourselves in a constructive manner.
and fyi clarification (not aimed at anyone, but at the general forum) - FSK is absolutely NOT an objection organisation. We have been working together with other community groups - like the marina cove association, hebe haven, etc - on Harim's Highway expansion, we are active in the controvertial issue to preserve the Sam Chung conservation area, we have organised like the sea reef festivals / as well as the annual blackkite festivals - both in conjuction with Green Power, etc etc etc.
The voices of memebers- are encouraged to keep FSK honest and positive! Much thanks for everyone's participation.

Copied from FSK google forum
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Landfill extension proposed   Landfill extension proposed Empty

Back to top Go down

Landfill extension proposed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Friends of Sai Kung :: Community :: Landfill extension-
Jump to: